9 Tips for Finding The Perfect Wedding Gift
Finding the perfect wedding gift is often very difficult! You want to give the bride and groom the very best gift that you can, but there is often questions of “Will they really like this”? or “Is this to their taste”?
By following our list of “9 Tips” you can be certain of finding a gift that the couple will love and appreciate for many years.
1. Identify with the Bride & Groom – While this seems obvious, it is the most common mistake made when purchasing a gift for the couple! It important to understand the couples’ likes and dislikes; their décor style and colour schemes. So why not ask them if there is something you are unsure of or if you have a suggestion; particularly if you do not know the couple well. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
2. The Wedding Registry – If there is one, then use this as the key guide, especially if the couple is collecting a specific range e.g. dinnerware. Often Registry Lists are meant as guides; so be confident and seek out original and personal gifts.
3. Look for locally made Alternatives – Too often much of what we see in our department stores and boutiques is mass produced work made in a far off factory overseas. Wherever possible look for gifts that are made in North America and not just some import whose reputation has been built on advertising.
4. Focus on Uniqueness – Consider locally crafted work. Most of this is unique and, unlike items made in some anonymous factory, local crafts people make work that is individual and one-of-a-kind. This does not just apply to a magnificent vase or a glass bowl. Even with a humble coffee mug, each one has a very slight difference. When just one person or a husband & wife team makes an item the numbers are small. It’s great for the couple to have something that is genuinely unique.
5. Focus on Quality – Local artists always take personal pride in their hand made work. I have yet to meet an artist who was not passionate about their work. From potters to glass artists to textile makers – this is their life and they are justly proud of their art. If treated well much of this work can last a lifetime. How many things can you say that about today?
6. Find a source for true Personal Service – Given time most artists will custom -make work to your specification. A unique wedding gift that has been made just for the couple is something that they will remember and cherish.
7. Check out local Availability – Many items may be matched or repeated. Full ranges are available that can be added to or simply collected over time. Not just pottery but wood or even glass. This can be very useful for the couple as time and money allows them to add pieces to their collections.
8. Help your local Economy – Shopping locally helps your local economy and by supporting local artists it keeps money in the community and ensures that these hard learned skills are alive for future generations.
9. Support your local Community and Help the Environment – A locally handmade gift helps reflects the community and region in which it was created. It has greater relevance for the person who purchased it and to the wedding couple to whom the gift is given. Local arts & crafts produce a minimal carbon footprint – little transportation and excess packaging is involved.
Side Street Studio has been supporting local artists for over 26 years. More than 300 local artists from pottery, jewellery, textiles, glass art, wood turnings, aromatherapy, cards, books, and lots more. Shipping is world wide with FedEx and Canada Post. http://www.sidestreetstudio.com/catalog/